Today was the day of the Half Price Books clearance sale at the MN State Fair Grandstand. Ethan and I drove up to West St. Paul to meet up with his uncle Gerald to go to MCBA Fallcon that takes place in the Education Building at the State Fair. So I went to the HPB sale first while they went over to Fallcon. I like comic books but I like regular books more and couldn’t miss this sale! I spent quite a few hours at the sale. There were rows and rows of books, movies and cds. I went straight for the books. The photo kind of sucks. At the last minute that guy in the middle walked through and I didn’t get a chance to take another one. But you get the general idea of how packed it was!
I started off with a basket but that quickly filled up within 10 minutes or so. It got really heavy. An older gentleman saw me struggling a little and offered his shopping cart to me since he wasn’t using it like he thought he was going to. So nice of him because I was not ready to be done looking!
I found lots of books that I wanted but I was trying to be a little more frugal this time. So I ended up putting some back. I kind of regret it looking back but oh well. There will be more opportunities later.
By the time I was ready to check out, the line was completely wrapped all the way around the building. I was ready to wait forever but it actually moved pretty quickly! The line weaved through some of the tables so I was able to do some more looking while I waited. I managed to grab a few more that I had missed on my first time around. Then when I got close to the checkout lane, some of the employees opened up a cash only station which was lucky for me because I was the first person still waiting in line that was planning on paying cash!
I got 25 books for $37. They put all my books in a box but I had my backpack along so I tried to fit as many in there as I could so I could still go into Fallcon for a bit. But I could only fit 10 of the books in there so I decided to just stay outside and wait for the guys to get done. I didn’t really have any comics that I was looking for this time around so I saved the $8 admission fee.
- Go Ask Alice – Anonymous
- The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Awakening – Kate Chopin
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy
- The Fountainhead – Ayn Rand
- The Jane Austen Book Club – Karen Joy Fowler
- The Red Queen – Philippa Gregory
- The Last of the Mohicans – James Fenimore Cooper
- Mademoiselle Boleyn – Robin Maxwell
- The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Caesar’s Women – Colleen McCullough
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
- Vittorio – Anne Rice
- Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
- The Boleyn Inheritance – Philippa Gregory
- The Virgin Blue – Tracy Chevalier
- Wideacre – Philippa Gregory
- Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
- The Forgotten Garden – Kate Morton
- The Pillars of the Earth – Ken Follett
- The Memoirs of Cleopatra – Margaret George
- The Crimson Petal and the White – Michel Faber
- Thirst – Christopher Pike
- Memnoch The Devil – Anne Rice
- Blood and Cold – Anne Rice