Since this is my first full year of blogging, I am going to do the 2015 End of Year Survey from Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner. But before I dive into the survey, here are some of my Goodreads stats for the year!
Books read: 152
Pages read: 58,239
Average length: 388
2015 READING STATS
Number Of Books You Read: 152
Number of Re-Reads: 14 (including 8 audio books)
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy – adult and YA
BEST IN BOOKS
- Best Book You Read In 2015?
I really don’t know if I can choose just one. I read so many good books this year and looking back at all of the ones I rated 5 stars, it’s just too difficult to choose one. I’ll have to go with top 5 because even that is hard.
- Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
- Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
- Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
- Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodges – I’ve been really into fairy tale retellings lately but this retelling of Beauty and the Beast just didn’t work out for me.
- Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman – I was completely surprised by how much I did not like this book. I absolutely love the movie but the book felt flat and lackluster.
- Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz. This book is so good and I have been spreading the word about this book like crazy lately. It is such a good book! I mean obviously it’s good if it’s in my top 5 for the year! And the author is 1000% awesome. I want people to read it and see how great it is so book 2 will get published.
- Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
Best series started: The Light Trilogy by Lauren Bird Horowitz – First book: Shattered Blue
Best sequel of 2015: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Best series ender of 2015: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
- Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Rainbow Rowell and Lauren Bird Horowitz! I’ve read 3 books by Rainbow now and I loved each of them. And I absolutely adored Shattered Blue, as you have seen by now, and have also read several of Bird’s poems (check out her website!). Plus she is such a wonderful person! It has been really fun getting to know her the past few weeks! #NINJAOTTERSOX for life!
- Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t typically read a lot of memoirs or non-fiction but I read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer (my second of his books) and completely loved it. I was so drawn to the tragedy of the event and have even acquired another book written by another person who experienced this tragedy. I also recently went to see the movie based on this event. I don’t know why but I feel connected to the people and the story.
- Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
- Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I still don’t have the sequel so when I get my hands on that I will want to re-read TRB to refresh before starting book two.
- Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
- Most memorable character of 2015?
Celaena Sardothian/Aelin Ashryver
- Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh – The writing, the characters… Loved this book.
Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz – The characters, writing, Noa’s poetry, connection between the characters… Swoon.
- Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
- Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
- Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
“Only you,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him. “To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. Only you. Because ye will not let me lie–and yet ye love me.”
― Diana Gabaldon,
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
- Book That Shocked You The Most
I think the book with the biggest twist that I did not see coming was in Shattered Blue! I won’t tell you what it is because I don’t want to spoil it but whoa! When I read it, I had to stop for a second.
- OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
I totally ship James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser and Claire Elizabeth Beauchamp Randall Fraser. In my mind, they are THE OTP (one true pairing) of all time. BUT since I read Outlander in 2014 I feel I need to add my favorite OTP of 2015. And that goes to Noa and Judah from Shattered Blue!!!!! #JudahsRebels 🙂
- Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Gansey and Adam from The Raven Boys. I absolutely love that Gansey stuck up for Adam and totally had his back in everything.
- Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon – I first read Outlander in December 2014 and this one is my favorite of the series since then.
- Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli because Stefani @ Caught Read Handed gushed about it so much. And I was not disappointed by her recommendation! It was a fantastic read.
- Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Judah from Shattered Blue. I can’t wait to read more Judah in book 2! #JudahsRebels
- Best 2015 debut you read?
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon was amazing. I loved that book so much. And in case you didn’t see this coming… Shattered Blue by Lauren Bird Horowitz! Come on, you had to see that one coming. I am in love with this book!
- Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Definitely the Throne of Glass world – Erilea and Wendlyn.
- Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The book I remember actually smiling and laughing out loud while reading was Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.
- Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia was such a good book full of feels! There was a twist in there that made me nearly cry because it was so tragic.
- Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes was a really intriguing read about a cult and a girl who survives its craziness. I’ve always been fascinated by cults so this was a great read.
- Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Shazi and Khalid!!! Oh my God, the ending of this book totally ripped my heart out! May 3rd can’t come soon enough so I can find out what happens next.
- Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
Going to have to bring up Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman again. This book was written entirely with memos, video logs, diagrams, etc. I was completely enthralled by it.
- Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. I really liked this book but Lola drove me BONKERS! How could you continue to do that to Cricket?!?! Ugh. She still makes me angry lol.
YOUR BLOGGING/BOOKISH LIFE
- New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
This was a tough one. It’s come down to a tie between three awesome ladies that I have quite a bit in common with.
Ashley @ Socially Awkward Bookworm
Shelbie @ Lu-Lu’s Rants and Reads
Brandie @ Brandie Is A Book Junkie
- Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
This was a tough one to decide. I kind of hate writing reviews because I can never seem to gather my thoughts into a cohesive review. But I did have a lot of fun writing the review for Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.
- Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I think I will have to go with my post about question of the day post about audiobooks. I had never gotten in to them but had won one but couldn’t stand it. I got a lot of great responses and decided that for myself it will depend a lot on the narrator. I have since discovered that I absolutely love Davina Porter, the narrator of the Outlander series audiobooks. I have found that I can pretty much only listen to audiobooks if I have already read the physical book. I tend to space out so I miss things when I’m listening. So if I’ve already read it, it doesn’t matter.
- Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Armchair BEA 2015 was so much fun! I really want to go to the real BEA someday. It was fun participating in discussions and posts.
- Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Reaching my 1st blogiversary in September was the best moment in my blogging life. And for my bookish life it was getting some of my first autographed books. I won a signed copy of Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon from Stefani @ Caught Read Handed! My OTSP Secret Sister got me a personalized signed copy of Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. Lauren Bird Horowitz, author of Shattered Blue, offered for me to send her my book to sign. And she mailed it back with goodies from her dog Ninja to my kitties, Nika and Enzo! I got a signed copy of Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell from Book Outlet. The other day I found a signed copy of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon at Barnes & Noble, too!
- Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular post this year was 2016 Read My Books Challenge. I created this challenge for 2016 to help me read the books I own but have been neglecting to read. I decided to open it up to anyone else who is in the same boat and I’ve gotten a lot of great responses from it.
- Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My book reviews generally don’t get many views, which I completely understand because in all honesty, I don’t read too many reviews unless I’ve already read the book and want to compare my thoughts with the reviewers.
- Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book Outlet was probably my best, or arguably the worst, bookish discovery I made this year. I’ve spent so much money on that website. But at least I can justify that the books are so much cheaper and with Ebates I get a percentage of that money back.
- Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads Challenge reading goal, reset it higher and surpassed that goal as well.
I also completed my 2015 Netgalley/Edelweiss Challenge with 30 books read.
I failed my 2015 TBR Pile Challenge though. Mostly because the books I chose I really didn’t feel like reading by the end of the year.
- One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – I don’t really know why I’ve been putting this one off.
- Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
At the moment, this would go to Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I have really loved fairy tale retellings this year so I’m excited to read this new retelling of the Queen of Hearts.
- 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner. And I am lucky enough to participate in Stefani @ Caught Read Handed’s ARC tour for this book! I can’t wait to read it!
- Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
Tied between these 4 sequels. I couldn’t choose between them.
- 5th installment of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
- The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
- The Winds of Winter by George R.R. Martin
- One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
In my reading life, I hope to read at least 60 of the unread books that I own in line with my 2016 Read My Books Challenge. I want to get through as many as I can because my shelves could use a good cleaning and culling. Plus it will make room for more books J
In my blogging life, I hope to create a posting schedule and stick to it rather than flying by the seat of my pants like I have been most of this year. I’d like to be more organized so I don’t get so behind on reviews.
- A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I haven’t read the entire book, just a preview excerpt but it was so good that I have already pre-ordered it. Fans of Throne of Glass will love this new book coming out January 5th – Truthwitch by Susan Dennard.
And that’s a wrap on 2015! I’m very excited to see what 2016 brings to me bookish and blog wise!