Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and this week’s topic is: Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim (however you decide to interpret that (bought or read or something else) — I know most people read based on recommendation but we want to know those books you picked up without really hearing about or knowing much about!)
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done a Top Ten Tuesday! I just wasn’t really feeling the last few topics so I’ve just been skipping them. This week I had a few books that immediately came to mind so I knew I had to do it. I am going to do it a little different because a few of the books I picked up on a whim to see what all of the fuss was about. Several of these were before I started blogging or reading book blogs.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – I purchased the Kindle edition of this book in December 2013 because it was cheap and it sounded interesting. I had never heard of it before. I didn’t actually get around to reading it until a year later when I bought the mass market paperback from Target on a whim since the show was coming out soon after. I am insanely glad I finally decided to pick this book up because it is my new favorite and I am 100% obsessed with all things Outlander.
- A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray – This one was a total whim one day when I was at the library. I had never heard of it but it was on a cart of featured new books by the checkout. I fell in love with the cover and grabbed it solely because of that. I was not disappointed at all.
- I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson – This was the same thing as ATPOY. It was on the same cart up front by the checkout so I grabbed it too because look at that cover!
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer – This one I picked up in 2009 when I was a senior in college. The movie was going to be coming out so I wanted to see what it was about. I love a good vampire story too so I thought this would be right up my alley. I devoured it and immediately went back to Walmart to buy the rest of the series and proceeded to read them all in 1 weekend. After not reading for pleasure for 4 years during college because of the amount of reading I had to do as a history major, I have this series to thank for getting me back into it.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – This was another library whim pick up. I had never heard of it but the cover is stunning and it sounded interesting so I grabbed it. This book was so magical and the writing so beautiful it has become one of my favorite books.
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare – This was another one where I knew the movie was coming out so I wanted to read the book first. I was severely disappointed and it has completely put me off of this author.
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – Same thing as City of Bones… And another major disappointment that has me not wanting to read this author again.
- Serena by Ron Rash – When I first bought my Kindle Fire, I went crazy buying super cheap and/or free Kindle edition books and this happened to be one of them. I read it and really enjoyed it. **The movie is terrible FYI. Sorry J-Law and B. Cooper… It just sucked**
- Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier – I grabbed this book on a whim at a book sale. I’ve seen the painting a million times and have always wondered what the book was about. I really liked it! I thought it was fascinating that the author created this whole story about the artist based on the painting.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – Back when I used to browse Target’s book section years ago, I kept seeing this one. When I would read the back of the book it sounded to me a lot like Tron Legacy. My BFF told me she had read it and loved it. After passing up on it for months and months, I finally gave in and bought it. I wish I had been smart enough to grab it the first time! I love this trilogy.
What books have you picked up on a whim?