Hi, I’m Maren and I am a book hoarder. I think there comes a time in every bookworm’s life when their book collection gets a little out of control. Well, my collection has gotten BEYOND that point and I feel completely overwhelmed by it. I am without a doubt, a book hoarder. I have my TBR books mixed in with books I have read so when I look at my shelves, and the other random places I keep books, I just don’t even know where to begin. Trying to figure out what to read next is always a lengthy process because there are just too many unread books that I want to read in my collection. I ran out of space a long time ago so I have books on window seats and stacked in piles next to my bookshelves. I have decided to make the hard decision of culling my books down to a more manageable collection. My husband and I have been making plans to sell our house and buy something bigger next year so I want to have less stuff in general to move when we do. Packing up and moving nearly 900 books (not including duplicates I collect) is not exactly my idea of a fun time. While I love my messy book collection, I just don’t have the room for it anymore.
The Current Collection (in all it’s glorious mess):
The Stats (which can also be seen here):
Total # of Physical Books: 849
Total # Unread Physical Books: 509 (59.95%)
- Go to each shelf and look at every single book and ask myself if I will actually read this book (or reread if it has already been read).
- Make a note of which books are leaving the collection permanently to remove from my Home Library spreadsheet.
- Decide whether these books will be sold or donated.
- Once I have gone through all the books, fill in empty space on shelves with books from the floor and/or window seats.
- Have an easier time deciding what to read instead of wasting my time staring at my shelves.
- Utilizing my local library more rather than buying a bunch of books I may not end up liking. Ultimate goal here = saving money.
- Still have a big, beautiful collection of books but not feel guilty about the number of unread books that make up the majority of said collection.
I don’t know how long this plan will take. I would say at least a week but probably more. I don’t want to short circuit my brain so I think I will tackle one normal bookcase at a time. The smaller ones I will group together to equal a larger bookcase. So far I already have a bag and a box which I plan to sell and/or donate.
I have not yet taken them out of my Home Library spreadsheet so those will be included in the final tally of the books that I got rid of.
Stay tuned for an update post on the books I chose to remove from my collection.
Are you a book hoarder like me? Have you read less than 50% of the books you own?