Hey everyone! In my last post I decided to join in on the 2018 When Are You Reading challenge hosted by Sam @ Taking on a World of Words. Today I’m coming back at you with my proposed TBR to complete the challenge! These are all books I’m really excited to finally read that have been sitting neglected on my shelves for awhile. For my challenge I will be reading these times as when the book takes place, rather than the time they were published. Maybe another time I will try it the other way around but for now while I’m also focusing on reading my unread owned books the time setting is going to work better for me. For added interest, I added the year the book takes place and also where it takes place.
(Links go to the book’s Goodreads page)
- Pre-1500: The White Queen by Philippa Gregory (1464) England
1500-1599: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (1590) England & France & Prague
- 1600-1699: Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier (1670) England
- 1700-1799: Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon (1757) England
- 1800-1899: Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (1843) Ontario
- 1900-1919: In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (1918) California
1920-1939: The Diviners by Libba Bray (1926) New York 1940-1959: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (1941) Lithuania & Siberia
- 1960-1979: The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock (1970) Alaska
1980-1999: IT by Stephen King (1984-1985) Maine
- 2000-Present: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (2014) Australia
- Future: American War by Omar El Akkad (2074) Louisiana
There you have it! Technically I’ve already read three books in the 2000-Present range but I wanted to read Big Little Lies this year anyways before I watch the mini series so for the sake of the photo and TBR I added it there. I’m currently in the middle of three of these books (Shadow of Night, IT, and Between Shades of Gray) so I’ll be checking off some of these books pretty soon!
Have you read any of these books? What are some of your favorite historical fiction novels?