Oops! I missed yesterday’s post! Oh well. I had a great reading day, finally, to make up for it! I read 292 pages and finished my 2nd book of the week. Leah On the Offbeat was just what I needed after reading about an elusive serial killer.
I’m not going to have to skip today’s challenge. It’s a longer one and I just don’t have the time right now. This morning I started reading Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018 so I’m excited to finally get into it. I haven’t gotten very far but I am really enjoying what I’ve read. Plus the cover (both jacket and naked) are AMAZING! I have the Barnes & Noble special edition so the naked cover is red and stunning. The regular black edition is as well but there’s just something about that red that really calls to me.
So moving on to the day 4 update!
Day 4 Update
Pages Read: 292
Total Pages Read: 401
Books Read From:
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
What have you been reading lately?
Day 3 has come! I’m really hoping to have some more time to read than I have the last two days. Yesterday we had a big mess with our garage door breaking and I ended up with an unexpected half day because of it. While I had hoped to get some extra reading time in, our lawn really needed mowing. Then I really wanted to put together my new reading chair so I did that. It is so comfortable! I actually ended up falling asleep for 10 minutes because I just felt so relaxed. It is the Strandmon wing back chair and ottoman from Ikea.
Now, on to the day 3 challenge!
Show Me Your Precious
Everyone has a book that they love; now is your time to bring out your precious and shine. Share your favorite book (in whatever format you choose)! You know the one that has that beautifully illustrated map, or gorgeous writing, or whatever it is that draws you to it. Share with the world what makes that book your precious!
Guys… How do you choose just one?! I really can’t so I’m going to give you my three most loved books ever.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Jane Austen has held a special place in my heart since I first read her words way back in high school. When my parents took me on a college visit to their alma matter which I eventually ended up attending, they let me pick out a present from the gift shop so I picked out all of her books that they had available and devoured every single one. I have multiple editions of a few of her books plus a few retellings.
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell – I was first exposed to this story by seeing the movie at my grandma’s house. I don’t even remember how old I was but I just remember being totally enthralled by it. It became a ritual that every time we went to stay with grandma, I had to watch this 4+ hour movie, on VHS no less. My cousin also loved it so it’s been fun to bond over that through the years. I have multiple editions and a collection of the Hallmark ornaments.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – If you are an avid follower of my blog, this one should come as no surprise 🙂 I adore Outlander with every fiber of my being. I can’t get enough of it. I literally have 4 shelves worth of Outlander series editions, spinoffs, short stories, etc. Don’t ask me where I will put Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone because I’m not quite sure yet. I have just enough room left that I might be able to fit it in without completely overhauling these shelves but it will depend on how thick it is.
Day 2 Update
Pages Read: 71
Total Pages Read: 109
Books Read From: I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
Books Finished: N/A
Are you participating in Bout of Books? What book(s) are precious to you?
Yesterday was the first day of this round for Bout of Books! I completely spaced out on it with everything going on so I missed out on posting yesterday. I did manage to post my TBR on Instagram and read during my lunch break.
I’m currently in the middle of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara and really enjoying it. When I finish it, I plan to move on to Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli and then finish out the week with Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish all three but I’m going to try to at least get started on Children of Blood and Bone.
And now for today’s challenge!
Year of You
Share a book that was published the year you were born. If you don’t wish to disclose your age (that’s fine; you’ll get no judgment either way here), pick a book that was significant to your childhood.
There were many options I could have chosen for this one but I was really glad to see this particular book in my search! I read this years ago and absolutely loved it! I’m a total nut for Tudor history and this was a really fun read.
1986 First Edition Cover
Cover of the paperback copy I own.
Tomorrow I will post with my page counts read so far because I was not able to read much yesterday at all.
Are you participating in Bout of Books? What was a book published in the year you were born?
WWW Wednesdays is a weekly meme hosted by Sam @ Taking On A World Of Words.
Each week we answer the following three questions:
-What have you recently finished reading?
-What are you currently reading?
-What are you reading next?
I am finally making more progress on The Plantagenet and Tudor novels series by Philippa Gregory. Years ago I had read The Other Boleyn Girl back when the movie with Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson was coming out but I never really got around to reading the rest of the series even though I live for Tudor history. I just finished book 3 in the series, The Red Queen, which is from Margaret Beaufort’s POV. I thought it was really well written and definitely kept me intrigued from the very beginning.
I also finished A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas. I had been looking forward to this one for ages. It is one of my favorite series so I’m glad when it didn’t end with ACOWAR last year. Really looking forward to reading the new novels as they are published. What really surprised me about this book was the range of emotion. It is a really short book, technically a novella, so it was really refreshing to feel such a wide range of emotions while reading it. There were sad moments, anger, and so many bust-out-laughing moments. I love the inner circle and their camaraderie so much!
Currently I am reading I’ll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. I had been DYING to read this book ever since I heard about it. I really love reading books in the true crime genre and lately with all of the publicity about this killer finally being caught, I just needed to get a copy ASAP. It’s really sad though that the author passed away in 2016 and wasn’t able to see all of her hard work pay off in helping direct information towards catching this killer. I started reading it last night and had to stop… My hubby went to bed early and requested that I use my booklight to read but it was just too creepy so I ended up putting the book down haha. This killer preyed on couples late at night in their beds so I was done for the night. It is really interesting so far though!
Up next I am planning on choosing between these two books. After reading I’ll Be Gone In The Dark, I may need something light and contemporary so I would go with Leah On The Offbeat by Becky Albertalli. If I don’t need something lighter I may end up choosing Circe by Madeline Miller. We shall see!
What have you been reading lately?
I think this is the first month where I really have a solid TBR that I plan to stick to. Normally I have a hard time adhering to a TBR because I am a mood reader but there are so many books I’ve received lately or will be receiving this month that I am dying to read. I’m keeping it about half of what I usually read in a month so I have plenty of room for other books that strike my fancy during the month. I’ve put them in the order I plan to read them as it stands now but that could change. LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff will for sure be the last book of the month since it doesn’t release until the 29th. I’m currently reading The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory but as soon as I finish that I plan to start A Court of Frost and Starlight right away. (Links go to book’s Goodreads page)
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas – I have been dying to read this one ever since I finished ACOWAR. I have missed Feyre, Rhys, and the others so much! I can’t wait to see what they are up to.
- I’ll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara – I love reading true crime books so I’ve been looking forward to reading this one for months. My library’s hold list is so long and I couldn’t wait any longer so I recently bought a copy.
- Lean on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli – I adored Simon Vs. so when I found out she was writing a sequel about Leah, I knew I needed it.
- Circe by Madeline Miller – I really enjoyed Song of Achilles and I love mythology so I’ve been really looking forward to reading this one!
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi – Another one I’ve been waiting months to read. I wanted to let the hype die down a little bit before starting it for myself so I won’t have those opinions on my mind while reading.
- LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff – If you know me then you know I love Jay Kristoff so having this one on my list is a no brainer! I can’t wait for this to FINALLY be released!
What books are you looking forward to reading this month?