Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and this week’s topic is: Ten Characters You Just Didn’t Click With.
- Nyx (Cruel Beauty): I just didn’t get on well with her, or the entire book for that matter. It was just bizarre and felt weird.
- Ringer (The Infinite Sea): She was such a harsh character and seemed to be too tough. I like having tough chicks in books but her toughness just felt unnatural like she was trying too hard.
- Elizabeth Grey (The Witch Hunter): I felt like she had zero common sense and that is a trait that drives me insane. I didn’t like the book either but her character just made me want to throw my Kindle across the room.
- Matthew Homes (Where the Moon Isn’t aka The Shock of the Fall): Yes, the poor guy had schizophrenia but I felt zero emotion towards his character.
- Cadence Sinclair Eastman (We Were Liars): Ugh she just annoyed me, along with all of the other characters in this book.
- Aza Ray Boyle (Magonia): Don’t even get me started on this whiny brat. I couldn’t even read more than a few pages in this book because of her constant whining and general bratiness. Yes she is allergic to air and that’s horrible. But come on. I’m not going to read a book where the main character spends most of her time complaining about everything and anything.
- Tariq (The Wrath and the Dawn): Spoiled son of one of the most powerful men in the country… Doesn’t listen to Shazi when she tries to tell him that they have been wrong about Khalid. Just wants to get her back even if she doesn’t want to go back to him. Not my kind of guy.
- Mal (The Grisha trilogy): I’m not really sure what it is about Mal but I haven’t really liked him even from the beginning of Shadow & Bone. He always just seems to be getting in the way of Alina and who she can be. And when she shines and does things he doesn’t want her to do, he acts like a petty child. I have been wanting Alina to be with anyone else (the Darkling or Nikolai).
- Cath Avery (Fangirl): I really liked Fangirl, but most of that had to do with Levi. I wasn’t really getting on too well with Cath. She seemed whiny and afraid to do anything involving real people or leaving her computer. I’m a big fan of strong female characters and she felt like the exact opposite of that.
- Lola Nolan (Lola and the Boy Next Door): Ugh… Lola annoyed me even more than Cath Avery. Not only was she whiny, but she was selfish and dense. There were so many times I wanted to throw my book across the room because she was just too stupid in regards to the Max vs. Cricket situation.
So those are the characters that I have not clicked with. What characters have you not gotten along with?
Day 3 of Armchair BEA is upon us! Today’s topic is Character Chatter.
It’s time to give your favorite characters some love! Characters are essential to a story, and they can make or break a book for some readers. Now’s your chance to shine the spotlight on your favorite characters, or maybe your least favorite. Who’s your favorite couple? What are the components of a well written character? What are you favorite or least favorite cliches associated with characters?
For me, characters are what makes a story great. Some of my favorite characters are the strong female characters who are their own person and don’t give a damn what anyone thinks of them. Some of my favorite female characters are Elizabeth Bennet, Scarlett O’Hara, Fanny Price, Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser, and Nynaeve al’Meara. As for the men… I love a strong man who is kind and charming but I also have a bit of a thing for the bad guy but only if he is charming. Some of my favorite male characters include Jamie Fraser, Perrin Aybara, Brennus (from Amy Bartol’s Premonition series), Rhett Butler, and Mr. Darcy. Any well written character needs to have a strong personality… nobody wants to read about a dull main character. My favorite literary couple would have to be Claire and Jamie Fraser. They are both such unique individuals with very strong personalities and when they come together, love and passion explode and they make the most amazing pairing together. I love the way Diana Gabaldon has written them as individuals AND as a couple. My favorite cliches associated with characters are when the good guy and/or gal gets the happy ending and the bad guy and/or gal gets screwed. When I read books without a happy ending and no sequel to bring things back around, I feel a bit cheated and resent the author just a little bit 🙂
What are some of your favorite characters?
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and this week’s topic is: Top Ten Characters You’d Like To Check In With (meaning, the book or series is over and you so just wish you could peek in on the “life” you imagine they are leading years down the line after the story ends).
I had a hard time only choosing 10 for this week! There are so many characters that I would love to check up on and see what they’re up to. One of the couples I wanted to check in with was Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride & Prejudice but I’ve read so many sequels that I’m okay with leaving them off the list.
- Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen – He was one of my favorite characters from The Hunger Games trilogy so I would love to see what he and Katniss are up to now, especially after reading the end of Mockingjay.
- Rand, Egwene, Aviendha, Elayne, Perrin, Mat, Nynaeve, Lan – My favorite characters from The Wheel of Time series. The ending had a small glimpse of Rand and his three ladies, Elayne, Aviendha, and Min but I would like to see more and what happened with my other favorite characters.
- Lisbeth Salander and Mikhail Blomkvist – Love the Millenium trilogy so much and I have heard that there is an author who is going to be writing a fourth book. Larsson’s children do not approve of this so it will be interesting to see what happens.
- Sookie Stackhouse – I really disliked how Harris ended this series (and more specifically who Sookie ends up with). I know it’s her characters but I love this series so much and feel like they are my characters too and that shouldn’t have been the way it ended.
- Four – After that horrible ending, I want to know how Four deals with it and what he ends up doing.
- Fanny Price and Edmund Bertram – I would really love to know what happens with these two after Austen concluded Mansfield Park.
- Aya and Kiran – This book was awesome and I loved these two characters both individually and together. I would very much like to know how their life is now with all of the things that happened at the end of this book.
- Anna and Etienne – I just finished reading this book yesterday and loved these two! They were just starting off their official relationship when the book ended and I need more! So cute!
- Lena and Ethan – I love the Caster Chronicles series, especially Lena and Ethan so I would love to know how things are for them now that their part of the series is over.
- Nick and Amy – Their story was such a crazy one that I just HAVE to know what sorts of insane things Amy is up to now!
Who are some of the characters you would love to catch up with?
I just came across this fun post on Brin’s Book Blog and decided I wanted to go for it! This tag was created by alwaysopinionatedgirl. I wasn’t tagged for this but I wanted to do it anyway!
Basically you think of a book character for each of the letters in your blog name and post the final acronym. I think I may have difficulty with the letter O since I have to think of 3 of them and right now I can’t think of any! But here goes!