March ended up being a pretty decent reading month for me. A lot of what I read was graphic novels though so that kind of accounted for the spike in number of books read. I read 9 graphics and 4 regular books. One of my all time favorite series is The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, completed by Brandon Sanderson after RJ passed away. I’ve tried to get my husband to read it so many times and years ago he read the first two and half of the third. But then he lost track so put it on the back burner for a few years. He finally decided to start reading it again but wanted to start from the beginning and wanted me to read it with him. Since I’ve read the first 6 or 7 books multiple times already I decided to read the first two books with the graphic novels instead of the full novels. The prequel is one graphic novel and the first book is split into 6 graphic novels. While I was reading the graphics he was already full steam ahead on book two.
I also ended up finishing the #UnreadBOTMChallenge that I had started at the beginning of the year. To recap, the goal was to choose books from your owned but unread Book of the Month Club books in January, February, and March. I decided to try and read 2 of those per month.
- March 2019 Books Read: 13
- 2019 Books Read: 31
- March 2019 Pages Read: 3,539
- 2019 Pages Read: 10,406
- Verity by Colleen Hoover
- Tainted Love – True Blood vol. 2 graphic novel
- The French Quarter – True Blood vol. 3 graphic novel
- The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- American Fire by Monica Hesse
- New Spring – Wheel of Time prequel graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 1 graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 2 graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 3 graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 4 graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 5 graphic novel
- The Eye of the World – vol. 6 graphic novel
Since the #UnreadBOTMChallenge is officially over now, here is the final list of what I read. Technically I read 4 BOTM books in January but that was because I had read two of them before I decided to join the challenge so I wanted to start the challenge as if I hadn’t read any yet. The links go to each book’s Goodreads page in case you are curious. I absolutely loved The Great Alone, The Broken Girls, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Reid. I highly recommend those to anyone looking for something new to read.
What did you read in March? Anything to recommend?
This winter is finally starting to come to a close. Well, at least by the date anyways. Up here in Minnesota we are still having freezing cold weather and snow storms. I am so ready for spring. I’ve got cabin fever like crazy. Despite being almost constantly shut in the house, I didn’t read as many books as January. But I did read some great books. The last book I read was absolutely fantastic! I love Jeff Zentner’s writing so much. He always manages to make me laugh really hard and cry all in the same book. And this one, Rayne & Delilah’s Midnight Matinee, had references to the other two books and I love when authors do that with their books. I also finally got back into Philippa Gregory’s Plantagenet & Tudor novels. Probably one of my most favorite times in history to read about. I’m hoping I can continue reading the series and finally finish it this year sometime.
- February 2019 Books Read: 7
- 2019 Books Read: 18
- February 2019 Pages Read: 3,053
- 2019 Pages Read: 6,867
- King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo
- The Broken Girls by Simone St. James (#UnreadBOTMChallenge)
- The Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory (2019 Beat the Backlist)
- The White Princess by Philippa Gregory
- Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (#UnreadBOTMChallenge)
- The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
- Rayne & Delilah’s Midnight Matinee by Jeff Zentner
Favorite Book Read: King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo AND Rayne & Delilah’s Matinee by Jeff Zentner
Least Favorite Book Read: Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell
What books did you read in February? Any new favorites or books to recommend?
Happy February everyone! I for one am glad January is over. That polar vortex last week was insane! We had windchills around -52 degrees F! I am so ready to be moving towards spring. But with the cold came lots of great reading time so I ended up reading 11 books this month. The last few months of 2018 were pretty slow for me so it felt good to get back up there.
- January 2019 Books Read: 11
- 2019 Books Read: 11
- January 2019 Pages Read: 3,814
- 2019 Pages Read: 3,814
- Sense and Sensibility graphic novel
- After You by Jojo Moyes
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- The Wicked King by Holly Black
- The Snow Bride by Debbie Macomber – ebook
- The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden
- The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh – #unreadBOTMchallenge
- Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker – #unreadBOTMchallenge
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo – #beatthebacklist2019
- Missoula by Jon Krakauer – #beatthebacklist2019
Favorite Book Read: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
Least Favorite Book Read: The Snow Bride by Debbie Macomber
This month I am planning on fitting in two more unread BOTM books as well as a re-read. I’m feeling pretty moody lately in the reading department so I’m not going to bother coming up with a TBR. I had started a re-read of Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover, which I love, but didn’t get very far because I just wasn’t in the mood to read it like I thought I was. And then my personalized copy of King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo came so I started reading that. It is really good so far.
What books did you read in January?
Apparently my blog is just turning into only wrap-up and TBR posts haha. Things should be winding down now with winter officially hitting us up here in Minnesota so I’m hoping to have more time to devote to the blog. But no promises! I’m still just going to post when I feel like it and not push myself to stick to a set schedule. So, I feel like although I only read 4 books this month, I read some pretty big books so that made up for it. I read the last three books of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas and I am so sad that it is over. One of my all-time favorite series. I know a lot of people don’t care for this series anymore or Maas, but I will always love her and her writing. I also read the most recent Nicholas Sparks book but didn’t care too much for it. It was just meh. I grew up reading his books and loved them, but the last couple just haven’t done anything for me. I don’t know if it’s his writing that has changed or me, but I just couldn’t even get through the one he wrote before this last one.
November 2018 Books Read: 4
Total 2018 Books Read: 101 (including 5 DNF)
October 2018 Pages Read: 2,432 (not including DNF)
Total 2018 Pages Read: 33,476 (not including DNFs)
- Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas
- The Assassin’s Blade by Sarah J. Maas
- Every Breath by Nicholas Sparks
- Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas
I have been doing pretty well at sticking with my TBRs lately so I’m going to try and continue that trend in December. Stay tuned for my December TBR post.
What books did you read this month?
October seems to have blown by really fast! And yet I managed to have a GREAT reading month! Maybe having such a dismal reading month in September really helped turned things around for me. I read 11 books this past month, including one that I decided not to finish. Not only did I read 11 books, but I read well over 3,000 pages and I’m only three books away from completing my Goodreads goal of reading 100 books this year. And what might be even more amazing to me is that I finished every single book that I had on my October TBR! That has NEVER happened! I’m such a mood reader that it is hard for me to pick books for a whole month and then stick to those choices. But I guess I picked out a great stack this past month. Either that or I was just in a super Halloweeny mood the whole month!
One book that was a little bittersweet to read was Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor. It was absolutely amazing, everything I wanted and more in the finale of the Strange the Dreamer duology…. But that’s it, no more to the story so that made me pretty sad about finishing it. Definitely my favorite book of the month, and of 2018 so far! With the pushback on publication of the Nevernight trilogy finale, Muse of Nightmares was my most anticipated book of 2018. So, so happy that it lived up to my expectations.
October 2018 Books Read: 11 (including 1 DNF)
Total 2018 Books Read: 97 (including 5 DNF)
October 2018 Pages Read: 3,289 (not including DNF)
Total 2018 Pages Read: 31,044 (not including DNFs)
- There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
- City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab
- Pet Sematary by Stephen King
- Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
- And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich
- Saga vol. 8
- Saga vol. 9
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
- An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
- Hocus Pocus & the All-New Sequel by A.W. Jantha
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
What books did you read in October?