Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new topic and this week’s topic is: Top Ten Historical Settings You Love/ Ten Historical Settings You’d Love To See or Top Futuristic Books You Love/Ten Futuristic Societies I’d Love To Read in Books — basically this week is all about the past or the future….spin it however you choose!
I love historical fiction. It is tied for my favorite genre along with fantasy. I was also a history major in college so I just love reading things related to history in general. I do have favorite time periods I like to read about and time periods that I really don’t like reading. Here are my top ten historical settings!
- Tudor England – Anything about the Tudors, I LOVE! Philippa Gregory has some great series that take place during this era.
- Regency England – Jane Austen, JA spin-off types and other books set in this time I love reading.
- 1700s Ireland & Scotland – I really love all things Ireland and Scotland but the 1700s are the most interesting to me.
- Ancient Egpyt – I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt so any book that takes place in this era I would love to read, especially if it is about any of the Egyptian queens.
- Civil War era (US) – This era in US history is completely fascinating to me. Gone With The Wind is my favorite from this era.
- Colonial (US) – Before and after the Revolutionary War.
- Westward Expansion (US) – This would include the Gold Rush and pioneer times. Some of my favorites from this setting would be the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and The Giants in the Earth trilogy by O.E. Rolvaag.
- 1600s US, especially Salem – I am obsessed with the Salem Witch Trials. Recently I acquired The Witches by Stacy Schiff and can’t wait to read it!
- Imperial Russia – This one is a newer fascination of mine thanks to my husband who has a fascination of all things Russian. If you have any recommendations for this era, let me know!
- World War II – Ever since I read Number the Stars by Lois Lowry in elementary school, I have liked reading about WWII. It was obviously an incredibly tragic time so it can be hard to read.
What are some of your favorite historical settings? Do we share any?